the plan: to remotely turn on and off lights in my appartment, I need to plug my 433Mhz remote light control to my DTMF phone.
why? When standing on the bar “21” we cannot identify our own house, so it would be nice to switch the lights on/off from afar. The 21 os located in the 21st floor of a high building in kaiserslautern, so theoretically we could see our flat (from our flat, we see the bar).
The hack: idea would be the use one of these babies (a DTMF decoder) and call my own phone, then transfer the DTMF signals to a manipulated remote control. Alternase tively we could place some 230V relais at the DTMF decoder. Hm, how to pick up a phone automatically? could use the answering machine for that.
alternative approach: have a friend sit at home and do the lights on call. Perhaps attach a beer to the friend.
an interesting thing happening in Austria is the Semantic Web School. The aim of this school is to preach the gospel of the semantic web to the masses, especially industry, government and end users.
The website has information about the school (in german) and the offered curriculum. They offer a set of one day workshops about several topics. The events are spread over several months (see navbar on left) and can be booked seperately. Cost is ok, compared to the quality of the speakers it is surely worth it (and regarding the good connections you get to the other industry & govn attendees 🙂 At the moment, courses are ongoing.
A very nice thing about the website is the good collection of information about the semantic web at large, they collect much info. They also asked their speakers to contribute there, so expect a quite well kept library of semantic web stuff.
Look at the right side of the nav bars to find the good links.
and yes, I am also giving a workshop there, about the dirty and good RDF tools: redland, jena, sesame, protege, gnowsis. I am looking forward to this, its on 25th may, you can still book to watch me.
hackaday writes about hardware and software hacks
Again gnowsis has advanced and the 0.8.2 release contains some interesting features, including a Joseki and SPARQL server and some bugfixes.
We are aware of the current movement towards sparql and have added SPARQL as a protocol to gnowsis using the ARQ/Joseki implementation. This can now be used in parallel to the existing URIQA interface, that has already been used by developers to talk to gnowsis.
Basically, gnowsis is a Semantic Desktop framework that integrates heterogenous data sources (files, outlook, imap servers, etc..) into a queryable and linkable RDF framework. It is programmed in Java and extends Jena. You can use it as a very big code sample of how to use Jena, install it and browse your own filesystem as an RDF graph, extract Concise Bounded Descriptions of resources and be happy with all the RDF.
Gnowsis is released under a BSD license and you are free to extend it.
The 0.8.2 release is mainly a bugfix and enhancement release of 0.8.1. We will now distribute gnowsis more frequently and move from our private cvs to a public visible subversion soon.
download gnowsis here:
Changelog of 0.8.2:
* a new Joseki Server. Joseki is added using the hot joseki3 version from the latest CVS from sourceforge. Expect to make SERQL queries. documentation follows
* the service concepts has been improved
* gnowsis uses now Jena Modelmakers in central places. This allows to configure the search and central repository services to run either on database or on file models, in the future also NG4J
* Client interfaces made better.
What misses is decent documentation of the new features. If you are willing to contribute, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are interested in gnowsis, don’t hesitate to contact me,
may rdf:Resource be with you.
People of the earth, hear what time it is: the end is near, the end of star wars.
These days, hammered by TV ads to see Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith, we have to go into silence and think about ourselves and our future.
Why? because episode 1 and Episode 2 were rather crappy animated low acted entertainment movies and didn’t have the classy analog style of the first trilogy (star wars, empire strikes back, return of the jedi).
So, the Episode 3 thing somehow has to come up to this, especially, when we think about the plot that has to be expected. I will now sum up some of the things I expect to see, and after watching the thing check if they hit it right.
And remember: this is the last time in your entire life that you can still imagine these things before they get implanted in your brain visually in a cinema.
Print this list before going to the movie and mark all the points while you watch!
- First of all: love and babies. Anakin and Padme have to make love and babies, Luke and Leia.
- Luke has to be hidden on Tatooine (rather crap idea to hide the toddler of Darth Vader at his own step-brother’s place….. Darth Vader must be sooo stupid)
- Leia has to be hidden.
- Leia gets a job as diplomat
- Leia gets a cool spaceship
- Leia gets the two robots C3PO and R2D2 (btw, can’t darth find his own bots, this looser lets them fly away in an escape pod right before his muzzle in star wars IV, so much about the force and robots. Well Anakin surely loses some of his wits)
- Obi Wan gets old and looks like Alec Guiness instead of Ewan Mc Gregor
- Obi Wan hides on Tatoine in a small worn down appartment and loses his Jedi Job.
- Obi Wan changes his name to Ben Kenobi (perhaps he owes money to Jabba the Hut?)
- Anakin gets the cool Darth Vader outfit (which is the want-have of everybody, man this would be great for work)
- Anakin hits himself with a light sabre on the head to get the scar we see later.
- Anakin gets this shell-thing like room were he can undress and watch holos.
- The good clone army that helped the jedis so nicely are now bad Storm Troopers
- Yoda stops flying around
- They build a “death star” to rule the galaxy (pinky, what are we going to do tonite?)
- The plans of the “death star” are stolen by brave secret service men of the rebellion. Many die trying. (they say so later, so much dying expected on this one)
- The stolen plans are given to Leia (probably by a spy who is badly wounded and then muttering some heroic stuff before dying in her hands. cool)
- btw: a rebellion is founded and builds more than one base. (“there was a base on X but it was empty”)
- The X-Wing is invented and mass produced
- Somebody got to be an emperor
- Darth Vader kills all Jedis but Obi wan, Yoda and his own kids (in episode IV the death star conference guy says he killed them all). So much boring hollywood lightsabre swinging expected here. Surely more interesting than anakin killing the sand people that took hostage his mother
- Jar Jar Binks dies (well, he is no char in the later series, and was only for the kids, so be gone, man of waterworld)
- Anakin has to have some reason for his Darth Vader life support outfit, perhaps some lung disease from smoking or hitting a power surge while flying
- Yoda stops jumping around like a rubber ball
- Yoda moves to the swamp planet in the Dagobah system and moves into a worn down hut (like obi wan, these ex-jedis seem to go for cheap housing)
- somehow all Jedis move to worn down huts on lonely planets, say goodbuy to the nice offices on Coruscant
- This probably means: the “great jedi archives where you can easily delete information about a system where I placed an order for an army of 300.000 klones” will be destroyed. The archives, the funny training room with the holo map, etc.
- Darth Vader does not kill all Jedis. Probably he is overestimating himself a little, as he didn’t find his own kids and his own robots, he probably forgets half of the Jedis in the killing. Look forward for an “easy-escapable-situation” death plot, perhaps with sharks with lasers on their heads
- Little Boba Fett grows up and gets the same cool “Mc Gyver-meets-Swiss-Army-Knive” suite that his father wore. And he collects money for Jabba the hut (hm, actually this thing is after Episode IV, but perhaps Jabba gets aquainted with Jango in Episode III)
- The Storm Troopers develop some culture, perhaps mate and are a happy folk of their own. (these 5 year old clones on steroids can talk about the latest aircraft while obi Wan shuts down some Power Chord on the death star in Episode IV)
- Because they are all of one family: probably someone is the father of Han Solo and Chewbaca is a step brother of Jar Jar Binks (Ingrid questions this last assumption)
- Leia gets adopted by some noble couple, to get the prefix “princess”
- From a movie magazine: C3PO gets his brain deleted to be inable to tell the hiding place of luke to anyone. For this noble deed he gets his golden outfit
- Leia grows up a few years with padme, Padme is a loving and beautiful mother (Leia remembers that in Episode 6).
- Luke is hidden right after his birth (he does not remember his mother whereas Leia remembers something)
If I find more story parts, they will be added accordingly.
when users see a box with a button labeled “search” they expect it to work like google/msn/yahoo. When such a field/button are not supplied or behave otherways (ie run a search only on the current page or some other strange stuff) users get angry.
scientific proof here
eine neue Kategorie in meinem blog: austriaca, also Wörter und Redewendungen die von Österreichern verwendet werden aber einem Deutschen nichts sagen.
Fangen wir gleich an, diese beiden exemplare wurden von mir und Sven Schwarz gefunden:
Sven erster voll-österreichische Satz:
Ich gehe davon aus, wenn wir heute ausgehen, geht sich das nicht mehr aus.
das geht sich nicht aus – für diese Sache ist keine Zeit oder kein Platz vorhanden
More to come, like:
Hast’ Lust auf’an leiwanden Kaffee? — Naa, Kaffee is zaach. Außerdem
hab i mei’ Heferl net do.
note: jena schemagen omits entries for RDFS:classes when you do not pass the argument –rdfs. So when you search for missing class entries, try it.
version jena 2.2
tricky tricky, it used to do it, I think.